In accordance with revised public health directives, the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA) has closed its museums and historic sites until further notice. The safety and well-being of our employees and visitors is the DCA’s foremost concern. We appreciate your support and understanding. Please continue to visit this website for updates and to explore virtual visits, programs, and educational opportunities.
You are here
Publications and Bulletins
The New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science produces a variety of publications, ranging from posters to a bilingual education series for elementary teachers to technical contributions on natural history.
These publications are sold through the Natureworks Store located in the Museum and can be ordered by phone: (505) 841-2803.
Dawn Of The Age Of Dinosaurs In The American Southwest
The Museum's first technical publication was published in 1989, prior to the initiation of the bulletin series. This co-edited volume has been out of print for almost a decade, but is now available as a free download here.
New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science Bulletins
Initiated in 1992, the NMMNH&S bulletin series consists of 47 technical monographs and co-edited volumes on the natural history of New Mexico and surrounding areas. To date over 400 articles have appeared in the 28 published bulletins. Some of the most popular of these contributions have been Bulletin 17, Dinosaurs of New Mexico, Bulletin 3, the Nonmarine Triassic, Bulletin 6, Permian Footprints and Facies, and Bulletin 4, Late Triassic (Carnian and Norian) tetrapods from the southwestern United States. Scientists around the world routinely cite these and other NMMNH&S bulletins in their work.
Several Bulletins are now available as PDF documents, available for download from New Mexico's Digital Collections.
New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science Bulletin Series
- Meniscotherium (Mammalia, "Condylarthra") from the Paleocene of western North America, 1992. Thomas E. Williamson and Spencer G. Lucas, 75 pp.
- Vertebrate paleontology in New Mexico, 1993. edited by Spencer G, Lucas and Jiri Zidek, 338 pp. (Out of Print)
- The nonmarine Triassic, 1993. edited by Spencer G. Lucas and Michael Morales, 478p +59 pp. road log (2 part download)
- Late Triassic (Carnian and Norian) tetrapods from the southwestern United States, 1995. Robert A. Long and Phillip A Murry, 254 pp. (Out of Print)
- Keuper (Triassic) flora from middle Asia (Madygen, southern Fergana), 1995. Inna A. Dobruskina, 49pp.+49pl.
- Early Permian footprints and facies, 1995. edited by Spencer G. Lucas and Andrew B. Heckert, 301 pp. (Out of Print)
- The postcranial morphology of Paleocene Chriacus and Mixodectes and the phylogenetic relationships of archontan mammals, 1996. Frederick S. Szalay and Spencer G. Lucas, 47 pp.
- The beginning of the age of mammals in the San Juan Basin, New Mexico: Biostratigraphy and evolution of Paleocene mammals of the Nacimiento Formation, 1996. Thomas E. Williamson, 141 pp.
- Paleontology of the Greenhorn Cyclothem (Cretaceous: Late Cenomanian to middle Turonian) at Black Mesa, northeastern Arizona, 1996. James Ian Kirkland, 131 pp. + 50 pl.
- Land snails of New Mexico, 1997. edited by Artie L. Metcalf and Richard A. Smartt, 145 pp.
- New Mexico's fossil record I, 1997. edited by Spencer G. Lucas, John W. Estep, Thomas E. Williamson, and Gary S. Morgan, 143 pp. (Out of Print)
- Permian stratigraphy and paleontology of the Robledo Mountains, New Mexico, 1998. edited by Spencer G. Lucas, John W. Estep, and Jerry M. Hoffer 130 pp.
- Reanalysis of Acrocanthosaurus atokensis, its phylogenetic status, and paleobiogeographic implications, based on a new specimen from Texas, 1998. Jerald D. Harris, 75 pp.
- Lower and middle Cretaceous terrestrial ecosystems, 1998. Spencer G. Lucas, James I. Kirkland, and John W. Estep (eds.), 330 pp. (Out of Print)
- A new skull of Parasaurolophus (Dinosauria: Hadrosauridae) from the Kirtland Formation of New Mexico and a revision of the genus, 1999. Robert M. Sullivan and Thomas E. Williamson, 49 pp.
- New Mexico's fossil record II, 1999. edited by Spencer G. Lucas, 284 pp.
- Dinosaurs of New Mexico, 2000. edited by Spencer G. Lucas and Andrew B. Heckert, 230 pp.
- Volcanology in New Mexico, 2001. edited by L. S. Crumpler and Spencer G. Lucas, 150 pp.
- Walter Granger, 1872-1941, paleontologist, 2002. by Vincent L. Morgan and Spencer G. Lucas, 58 pp.
- Dinosores: An annotated bibliography of dinosaur paleopathology and related topics--1838-2001, 2002. by Darren H. Tanke and Bruce M. Rothschild, 96 pp.
- Upper Triassic stratigraphy and paleontology, 2002. edited by Andrew B. Heckert and Spencer G. Lucas, 301 pp.
- Notes from Diary-Fayum Trip, 1907, 2002. by Vincent L. Morgan and Spencer G. Lucas, 148 pp.
- Paleoecological analysis of the vertebrate fauna of the Morrison Formation (Upper Jurassic), Rocky Mountain Region, U.S.A., 2003. by John R. Foster, 95 pp.
- Paleontology and geology of the Upper Triassic (Revueltian) Snyder quarry, New Mexico, U.S.A., 2003. edited by Kate E. Zeigler, Andrew B. Heckert, and Spencer G. Lucas, 132 pp.
- Carboniferous-Permian transition at Carrizo Arroyo, central New Mexico, 2004. edited by Spencer G. Lucas and Kate E. Zeigler, 301 pp.
- Paleogene Mammals, 2004. edited by Spencer G. Lucas, Kate E. Zeigler, and Peter E. Kondrashov, 230 pp.
- Late Triassic microvertebrates from the lower Chinle Group (Otischalkian-Adamanian: Carnian), 2004. by Andrew B. Heckert, 170 pp.
- New Mexico's Ice Ages, 2005. edited by Spencer G. Lucas, Gary S. Morgan, and Kate E. Zeigler, 300+ pp.
- Vertebrate Paleontology in Arizona, 2005. edited by Andrew B. Heckert & Spencer G. Lucas, 210 pp.
- The Nonmarine Permian, 2005. edited by Spencer G. Lucas & Kate E. Zeigler, 362 pp.
- Permian of Central New Mexico, 2005. edited by Spencer G. Lucas, Kate E. Zeigler & Justin A Spielmann, 176 pp.
- Genética y Mamíferos Mexicanos: Presente y Futuro, 2006. edited by Ella Vázquez-Domínguez and David J. Hafner, 73 pp.
- Skeletal Impact of Disease, 2006. by Bruce M. Rothschild and Larry D. Martin, 226 pp.
- America’s Antiquities: 100 Years of Managing Fossils on Federal Lands, 2006. edited by Spencer G. Lucas, Justin A. Spielmann, Patricia M. Hester, Jason P. Kenworthy and Vincent L. Santucci, 185 pp.
- Late Cretaceous Vertebrates from the Western Interior, 2006. edited by Spencer G. Lucas and Robert M. Sullivan, 410 pp.
- Paleontology and Geology of the Upper Jurassic Morrison Formation, 2006. edited by John R. Foster and Spencer G. Lucas, 249 pp.
- The Triassic-Jurassic Terrestrial Transition, 2006. edited by Jerry D. Harris, Spencer G. Lucas, Justin A. Spielmann, Martin G. Lockley, Andrew R.C. Milner and James I. Kirkland, 607 pp.
- Pennsylvanian-Permian Fusulinaceans of the Big Hatchet Mountains, New Mexico, 2006. by Garner L. Wilde, 331 pp.
- Upper Aptian-Albian Bivalves of Texas and Sonora: Biostratigraphic, Paleoecologic and Biogeographic Implications, 2007. edited by Robert W. Scott, 39 pp.
- Triassic of the American West, 2007. edited by Spencer G. Lucas and Justin A. Spielmann, 247 pp.
- The Global Triassic, 2007. edited by Spencer G. Lucas and Justin A. Spielmann, 415 pp.
- Cenozoic Vertebrate Tracks and Traces, 2007. edited by Spencer G. Lucas, Justin A. Spielmann and Martin G. Lockley, 330 pp.
- The Late Triassic Archosauromorph Trilophosaurus, 2008. by Justin A. Spielmann, Spencer G. Lucas, Larry F. Rinehart and Andrew B. Heckert, 177 pp.
- Neogene Mammals, 2008. edited by Spencer G. Lucas, Gary S. Morgan, Justin A. Spielmann and Donald R. Prothero.
- Paleobiology of Coelophysis bauri, 2009. by Larry F. Rinehart, Spencer G. Lucas, Andrew B. Heckert, Justin A. Spielmann and Matthew D. Celeskey, 260pp.
- The taxonomy and paleobiology of the Late Triassic (Carnian-Norian: Adamanian-Apachean) drepanosaurs (Diapsida: Archosauromorpha: Drepanosauromorpha), 2010. by Silvio Renesto, Justin A. Spielmann, Spencer G. Lucas and Giorgio Tarditi Spagnoli, 81pp.
- Ichnology of the Upper Triassic (Apachean) Redonda Formation, east-central New Mexico, 2010. by Spencer G. Lucas, Justin A. Spielmann, Hendrik Klein and Allan J Lerner, 75pp.
- New Smithian (Early Triassic) ammonoiods from Crittenden Springs, Elko County, Nevada: Implications for taxonomy, biostratigraphy and biogeography, 2010. by James F. Jenks, Arnaud Brayard, Thomas Brühwiler and Hugo Bucher, 41pp.
- Carboniferous-Permian transition in Cañon del Cobre, northern New Mexico, 2010. edited by Spencer G. Lucas, Jörg W. Schneider and Justin A. Spielmann. 229pp.
- Review of the tetrapod ichnofauna of the Moenkopi Formation/Group (Early-Middle Triassic) of the American Southwest, 2010. by Hendrik Klein and Spencer G. Lucas. 67 pp.
- For a bibliography of articles in Word (.doc format), click here
- For a bibliography of articles in Acrobat Reader (.pdf format), click here